Inflammation is a necessary part of the healing process but when it becomes chronic (ie. longterm), it can lead to tissue destruction and disease and we need to do something about it.
We aren’t always aware of inflammation in the body. Intestinal or brain inflammation doesn’t necessarily hurt in the way that a swollen ankle usually does. Inflammation is present with PMT, depression, IBS, headaches, autoimmune disease and obesity, just for starters.
An anti-inflammatory diet
An anti-inflammatory diet has been shown in studies to be incredibly helpful in reducing chronic inflammation.
Part 1 AVOID THESE: Certain foods have strong effects on inflammatory pathways so these need to be avoided. Here is a list of the biggest culprits:
- Any foods you are allergic or intolerant to
- Processed meats
- Food additives and preservatives / highly processed foods
- Excess sugar
- Foods fried in transfats / vegetable oils
Part 2 EAT THESE: These foods and drinks have been shown in studies to reduce inflammation:
- Lots of water
- Herbal teas
- Vegetable juices
- Whole grains (rice, quinoa, buckwheat)
- Fruits especially berries
- Vegetables especially cruciferous (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower etc.)
- Beans, chickpeas, lentils
- Fish especially oily (sardines, mackerel, salmon, herring)
- Extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil (keep in the freezer)
- Herbs, spices, garlic
If you’ve got Hashimoto’s, any autoimmunity or any inflammatory condition, these are the foods to focus on.
Do you need help implementing this? I show my clients how to find practical ways to get this stuff in to their diets and help them create the habits that keep them there.
Book a call to hear about my 4 step Heal Your Thyroid 3 month plan.